Toddlers are so much fun! I've always been a sucker for kids that age. Now though, naturally as I have my own little girl, I love this age even more.
Toddlers are so imaginative. They pretend to be babies.
One second their toy phone is a phone and she's talking to some dear friend or family member and the next thing I know it is a car and she is blitzing it around the rug.
Pillows are actually "horsies," of course.
And anytime she comes across something that gives her a good idea, she is quick to show her independence to carry out said idea. Including putting her swim gear on, grabbing my hand, and saying "lets go! Swim!"
They also want so badly to be one of the "big kids." Doesn't really matter if we go to the park with another one of Ruby's little friends, she will find the group of big kids (preferably boys... am I in trouble?) and just sort of follow them around.
Toddlers can talk. At least enough to explain what they do and do not want. They can create and follow simple instructions. They are figuring out body control a little bit better all the time and have the best dance moves I've ever seen. They have their own little independent thoughts which remind me all the time that Ruby is her own unique little person. Which really is incredibly amazing.
One other fun thing about toddlers is that they get super opinionated and explore different ways of expressing that. A couple weeks ago, back when I was still pregnant and getting very happy to not be pregnant anymore, Parker, Ruby, and I walked to a nearby pizza place that just opened. Ruby was being cute and good, but also very busy. As is normal for toddlers, right?
And then, out of the blue, it happened. Our first in public, out of control tantrum. You see, Ruby wanted to get down and go run around the restaurant, but unfortunately for her, we were eating lunch and that just wasn't going to happen. She was whining in her chair and so I put her on the bench next to me to eat. Which she did fine at first.
Then she decided she was done. And just totally had a melt down. Parker and I just stared at each other almost in disbelief that this was our well-behaved daughter. We didn't even say anything to her because she was clearly past the point of reason. And then, after about thirty seconds and no response, it was as if she realized it wasn't going to work. She immediately stopped all tears and said (in a happy voice, no less) "okay" and moved on to something else. Yep.
Here's to many more tantrums and toddler moments to come. And to remembering that they are temporary. Sure love our baby girl!








No comments:
Post a Comment