My mom has a story from her growing up days... I'm not sure I'd tell it exactly right, but the gist of the story goes like this:
Once, my mom and her family were going to Driggs, ID for Thanksgiving to celebrate with her mom's side of the family and her cousins up there. My grandma was busy packing and getting seven kids ready as well as whatever she was supposed to bring for the celebration.
It wasn't until they were almost there that they realized they'd forgotten one of the most important things: the turkey!
And so, as time has passed, my family sometimes says "don't forget the turkey" when we are talking about whatever is the most important thing... for instance, you wouldn't want to go to the airport without your ID or to a concert without the tickets.
Well, yesterday, I was having a day. Don't know what my deal was, but time after time, I forgot "the turkey."
First, I went to the bank. I needed to make some pretty big cash exchanges that definitely required some good verification of who I was. But dang it all, I left my wallet at home. Seriously. I didn't have any ID at all. Good thing I had worked at that bank and asked the teller to do a cardless pin verification. At first she didn't even think she could do that, but fortunately for me she figured it out!
You would think I would have thought then and there to put my wallet in my purse, but as I packed up more things for Ruby so we could go to the aquarium with my parents, I left it again. That means that when we went to drop off my mom and dad at the airport and I remembered that I would have to pay to exit the airport, I realized I had no money. At all. Thankfully my mom had some cash. Good grief, Laci.
I went home and made sure I put my wallet in my purse so the next time I left I would have my ID and money with me. But don't you know it, the next time I left was to go pick Parker up from work. I was just going to be quick and then right home so I packed Ruby up and didn't even bother to grab my purse.
I left my ID at home. Again. And just as luck would have it- I got pulled over. Why? Not because I was speeding. Not because I ran a red light or turned when I wasn't supposed to or anything. Just because I had an expired registration.
Way expired. But we've gotten away with it because Texas police officers don't usually look at our Utah plates. This officer was not so careless.
She gave me a ticket for not having my license with me- which she told me I only had 90 days to get a Texas license and since we have lived in Texas for almost a year isn't even valid anyway, a ticket for an expired registration, and a ticket for not having inspection stickers. Which is apparently a different thing in Texas than Utah. I'm not even sure what it means.
But I do know that was a major bummer. Just one of those days... note to self: don't forget the turkey!

No comments:
Post a Comment