Monday, March 17, 2014

Gold Hunt

Growing up my neighborhood always had a St. Patrick's Day Gold Hunt... I'm pretty sure we were the only neighborhood that did after I asked around a little bit.  Either way, I had great memories of looking for gold and thought Ruby would love it.  So we decided to try and start it with our neighborhood.

First things first, we needed to make the gold: this is the craft Ruby and I were working on when the court emergency interrupted us.


Once we got back to it though, it was a very easy project.  We just bought rocks from Home Depot.  We bought two bags at like $3.79 each which was worth it to me since it meant we didn't have to go digging for rocks.  We washed them and then just went to town spray painting.  Seriously, that easy.  Though it did take a fair amount of time to get all the sides of the rocks... I actually had to go buy another can of spray paint and, truth be told, could have probably used a third.   But we had plenty of gold and the pictures don't do the shine factor justice.  





Saturday morning we got together with some friends to see what the leprechauns had left.  The group was actually a little sparse- I think we had 12 kids total, but those kids loved it.  Hopefully there will be more people next year... One of my favorite parts was right before we began the hunt and Parker pulled up some Irish music on his phone.  More than half the kids automatically started dancing this little jig (Ruby included) that had me cracking up.   After we started, it didn't take long for the kids to catch on to what we were doing...










Sidenote: Ruby is wearing the same headband and shoes that she wore last St. Patrick's Day.  The headband is one thing... but I couldn't believe the shoes still fit!  That girl sure has teensy feet!








After we found all the gold we could, we turned it back in so the leprechauns could come pick it up and got a little bag full of goodies (we just asked each family to bring something to share).  I think Ruby loved that she could ask to have a treat and we kept saying yes!



It was a fun way for us to kick off the holiday!  Thank you, Parker, for all your help.  I could not have done it without you.

1 comment:

  1. 1. Ruby is so freaking cute
    2. YOUR BELLY IS THE CUTEST!

    ReplyDelete