Saturday, August 31, 2013

Personal Progress Night

Last week I was in charge of a personal progress night with all the Young Women from three wards.

That's a lot of pressure... not knowing where each Young Women is individually coupled with trying to give them an experience that they can complete that night is a little bit of work.

But I think it turned out okay.

I created three stations - one for Faith #2, one for Individual Worth #4, and one a write in experience for Good Works.

I told the girls that the Faith experience is one that everyone has to complete so if they don't know where they are, that is a good one to pick.  It is a read some scriptures, discuss with leaders, journal kind of experience so I made up a game for them to "discuss" and I think it turned out fun.  They were talking about the qualities that are important to have as a wife and mother and so they each wrote a quality on a piece of paper.  Then one person would select a paper and the other girls would give her something to do (pretend to sweep the floor, do the hokey pokey, pretend to get ready in the morning) while demonstrating and acting out the quality.  The girls then tried to guess which quality it was.

The Individual Worth experience asks the girls to think about their hopes and dreams as they grow up and to make a plan to achieve them.  So after they did the scripture and discussion part, we brough magazines and had them make collages that they could put in their lockers or bedrooms to remember their worthy goals and their plans to acheive them.  After they shared their collages, they journaled, and were done.  I think both the girls and the leaders had fun with this one.

Lastly, I wanted to make an option for girls who had already done both of the other experiences, so I made one up for Good Works.  I was worried that maybe someone would have done the other two and all of her Good Works experiences (and did have a back up plan for that), but it turns out we were okay!

For the Good Works experiences, I printed off a few Conference talks on service and asked them to read two.  They then spent some time making cards for people in need-- people from the two wards who were in the hospital or sick, missionaries, or whoever else they thought might appreciate a kind note.  They then journaled and were done.

Although it wasn't anything epic, there was one girl in particular in our ward- a twelve year old- who told me that she got so excited about Personal Progress after that night that she went home and did ten more experiences by herself!  

I was so glad to hear that... and if nothing else, we had rootbeer floats so at least we got that out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment