Friday, January 10, 2014

Huge Deal

I forgot something of terrible importance.  Life changing importance.

When I realized I'd forgotten, I could hardly believe it.

You see, while we were still in Utah on December 30th, we were having our annual Christmas get together with a few of the other Elders from Parker's mission and their little families, and something super important happened...

Ruby started walking!!!  Ahhhh!!!


Now, Ruby is sweet as they come... and I'm not just saying that because I'm her mom- at least I don't think I am... She really is just an even tempered, happy little girl for the most part.  Sometimes though, she gets very stubborn in what she wants to do and in what she absolutely will not do.  One of those things for the past several months, has been walking.  Don't get me wrong, she's walked around furniture and along walls, walked holding onto our hands and what not since she was 10 months old, maybe even younger.  But the second we tried to let go (of course fully confident that she could stand without getting hurt) she would sit down and throw a little fit.  She wouldn't even stand by herself for more than two seconds without letting us know that is not how she wanted to play this game.



And so, to be entirely honest, Parker and I stopped pushing her quite as hard and figured she would do it when she was good and ready.  Now, of course she got a lot of practice in Utah walking around with grandparents and uncles and aunts, but Parker and I really weren't trying to get her to walk.  She was hitting other milestones so, like I said, we weren't worried.




Anyway, right before everyone went home- and probably a good two hours after her bedtime- Ruby crawled to the middle of the floor, stuck her little bum in the air, and stood up.  Just like that.




She was sooo proud of herself!  She kept saying "I did it!" and clapping and dancing.  Seriously, that alone was enough to make my heart sing.



Then she got brave and took a few steps.  I think the most she took at one time was like seven or eight little steps, but she really was doing it!  We are so incredibly proud of her.




Really, we shouldn't be surprised that she decided to stand and walk when she had an audience.  She loves attention and loves when lots of people are watching her and cheering for her.  Like, really loves it.  When it was time for everyone to go and Ruby was still getting up and down and taking a few steps, she turned toward the people leaving waved goodbye with two hands, and blew them the biggest kiss (which she held to her face extra long).  Such a funny girl.



We've been home for a week now so you might have guessed that Ruby has probably mastered the walking by now.  Well, you'd be wrong.

She won't walk at home.  At least not when she is prompted to.  She reverts back to that stubborn, sassy girl we know and truly, truly love and throws a little mini fit.  Most often her legs turn to hello and she throws her head back or she will hold her legs up in the air as if she is sitting and just flat out refuse.  Such core strength!


She does however, stand up all over the place when she thinks we aren't looking- often in places where she really shouldn't be standing.  And then, she cheers for herself, "Did it!"  I've also seen her take one or two solo steps at a time.  She'll get it.  She's on her way.  She's getting more and more sturdy just standing and that is definitely the first step.


We love watching her grow and learn more than about anything.  Ruby Marie, you are our JOY!

1 comment:

  1. Yay Ruby!! I wish I could have seen her walk. She is the sweetest!!!!!

    ReplyDelete