Friday, January 10, 2014

Research Experiment

Sometimes when your mom has her Human Development and Psychology degrees, she is aware of different studies and every once in a while, she might just impose them on you.


On such study is sometimes referred to as the rouge test or the red nose test.

The gist of this study is that after 18 months, a baby recognizes his or herself in the mirror and is able to recognize when something is out of place.  This is done by putting a dot of lipstick or something else red on the baby’s nose and seeing if he or she realizes that it is there.

Ruby seems rather observant to me so yesterday, quite randomly, I decided to test that.


It might have just been the cutest thing I have ever seen.  I was taking pictures like she was a newborn all over again.

Immediately, she started laughing and said “noooose” and grabbed her nose.  She started putting it against the mirror and just took off from there.  She waved to herself, kissed herself, played “sooo big” with herself, gave herself high fives, blew raspberries at herself- the works.  All totally unprompted.








Today I saw that when we are little we really do love ourselves.  As I was thinking about the Young Women in our ward and myself growing up, and truthfully, a lot of what we still tell ourselves as adults, it made me sad to think about Ruby ever having those self depreciating thoughts.


I hope she always knows that I believe in her.  I think she is just as wonderful as 15-month old Ruby thinks she is.  She is beautiful inside & out and sweet in every way possible.

I love her with my whole heart.

2 comments:

  1. This gave me the chills! Our lesson in RS tomorrow is about natural beauty and appreciating ourselves as women... I think I just might share this with them :)

    ReplyDelete